Gin Blossoms, 'Found Out About You'



“Found Out About You” by the Gin Blossoms is one of my all-time favorite songs. Whenever I hear it I think of autumn 1993 — which is odd because, according to Wikipedia, “Found Out About You” was not released as a single until 1994. Complicating matters, New Miserable Experience, the album which features the song, was released in 1992. Hmm… The album was apparently re-released in the late-summer of 1993, so perhaps my memory is correct.

Regardless, I have always associated the song with the fall of ’93, a time that I have come to regard as the halcyon days of my childhood. Why? Perhaps because the events of that fall have stuck with me. Fifth grade, an idyllic hayrack ride at Wilson’s Orchard, serving on the school patrol the week of my birthday, moving desks from our old classroom into the recently completed “new wing” at Grant Wood, toying around with our family’s first computer, playing Oregon Trail, picking pumpkins at the old Coral Fruit Market… You get the picture. Good times, and Mix 96 provided the soundtrack.

The lyrics, which focus on rumors following a couple’s break-up, are not the most cheerful. I have always known that, but their imagery and emotion have always struck me as powerful:

The months roll past the love that you struck dead
Did you love me only in my head?
Things you said and did to me
Seemed to come so easily
The love I thought I’d won you give for free



Street lights blink on through the car window
I get the time too often on AM radio
You know it’s all I think about
I write your name drive past your house
Your boyfriend’s over I watch your light go out
Whispers at the bus stop
I heard about nights out in the school yard
I found out about you

The introspection and melancholy are beautiful and subtle, yet palpable. I have always loved the song’s sorrowful rhythm, especially the guitar cords. (Sadly, the Gin Blossoms’ guitarist, Doug Hopkins, committed suicide in December 1993.)

Good song, and good memories.

Popular Posts