Friday Night Lights 2013: Week 6


I saved the above pic from last week’s Hempstead–City High game because I thought it was pretty cool. I planned to use it at some point and tonight is the night because my dad and I took this Friday off.

Forecasts of rain and severe weather forced many schools to start games early. With the potential for bad weather (which has yet to materialize locally), we opted for the always excellent Iowa homecoming parade.

I guess it is a good time to assess the rebranded FNL series thus far. Each season, I always intend to highlight the sights, sounds, and smells that are high school football in Iowa. I have written a lot about the sights and the games themselves but not about the sounds and the smells. I need to heighten all my senses and perhaps take a little notebook to jot observations.

Next week is the annual Battle for the Boot at City High, but I do not want to go. Of the four games we have gone to this season, three have been at Bates Field. I want to go somewhere else and the Marion–Solon game is enticing. We’ll see what my dad wants to do.

Popular Posts