I love ugly, Big Ten football

With over eleven minutes left in the second quarter, Oregon is manhandling Arizona State, 43-7. The broadcasters are eating burgers on air. After the Ducks pushed the score to 36-7, Rece Davis said, “This game is over… They are not coming back.”

That is why I hate watching Oregon football games: they are boring blowouts. They are the only college football games I will gladly turn off when I go to bed. The most exciting thing about their games is watching the Ducks’ mascot do a couple hundred pushups.

Yesterday, CRG sports columnist Mike Hlas printed a conversation between ESPN’s Colin Cowherd and Kirk Herbstreit about how unwatchable the Big Ten is. (I never realized how irrelevant and inconsequential most sports reporting is until I started subscribing to the CRG. Wow. I almost feel bad for those guys: they need to pump out article after article despite having nothing to report.) Well, that is their opinion. They can keep their arena football on grass. Give me a grind-it-out, cold, sloppy, wet, low-scoring, defensive struggle on the gridirons of the Midwest. I would rather watch a game like Iowa played against Michigan State than see Oregon blow another opponent out of the water.

Oh, I agree the Big Ten sucks this year. Nothing new there. But I love ugly, Midwestern football.

Just saying.

Popular Posts