Beer of the Weekend #392: Smoked Porter

Today I went to New Pi with the intention of buying a four-pack of Green Flash’s Double Stout. (I have started drinking a beer (only one) after dinner each night and was fresh out of everything except PBR.) They were all out but I happened to find a nice surprise: Smoked Porter, brewed by the Stone Brewing Company of Escondido, California.


Stone hit Iowa shelves on October 1 and I planned to grab a sixer for Friday’s BotW. I have only seen Stone’s hopper choices around so I was happy to see something other than an IPA or Pale Ale.

This tasting is also noteworthy because I have always wanted to try Smoked Porter. I assumed it was only available on tap and the only place I ever saw it was at Pure Luck, the awesome vegan restaurant on Heliotrope in Los Angeles (which was apparently turned into a wine bar — booo!). I have had my Stone Smoked Porter glass for a while and I finally get to drink its namesake.

Serving type: 22-ounce bomber. The “ENJOY BY” date is “01.19.13.”

Appearance: Straight pour into a Smoked Porter pint glass. The color is, as the label suggests, dark mahogany. Two fingers of thick, tan head dissipated slowly and unevenly, leaving trails of foam along the sides.

Smell: The smokiness is present but muted. It is hanging around in the background behind dark chocolate, roasted malts, espresso, caramel, and vanilla that is reminiscent of cream soda. As the beer warms, the smokiness does become a little more prominent.

Taste: The smokiness makes its mark on the flavor, though I get the sense it is more like a barrel-aged quality. However, it does have that campfire or wood-burning stove quality. It complements flavors of roasted malts, chocolate, and a hint of espresso. The smokiness and roasted malts offer a nice bitterness that coats the mouth after each sip.

Drinkability: It is pretty solid stuff. It does not necessarily blow me away, and I was expecting something better, but it is very good nonetheless.

Fun facts about Stone Smoked Porter:

-Style: BA classifies it as American Porter.

-Price: $4.99/bottle at the New Pioneer Co-op in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5.9 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: The beer’s page on the Stone site says “this brew is equally delicious with meats or fine chocolates.” The painted-on back label offers more:

Convincingly complex, this polished ebony gem is excellent with BBQ’d meats; amazing with fine chocolate cheesecake and other rich desserts; and even pretty damn good with a well-crafted PB&J sandwich.

I think that is going to be the next craze in artisan food, after the cupcake fad has faded: well-crafted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. An icon of American childhood: sliced corner to corner, without the crusts, and at a price you shouldn’t pay.

-On that note, here is yet another pairing recommendation on the bottom of the back label, apparently the ideal PB&J: “Sourdough or squaw bread, chunky-style all-natural peanut butter & blackberry preserves make for the best combo.”

-Smoked Porter was first released in 1996.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts