Beer of the Weekend #397: Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout

The beer tonight is a crazy little thing that has been hanging around local beer shelves since August: Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout, brewed by the Millstream Brewing Company of Amana, Iowa.


Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. The notch on the side corresponds to the second “J” for July — at least I think that is a notch.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. The color is opaque black; zero light passed through when I held it to a lamp. One finger of creamy, tan head dissipated to leave a thick ring around the edge and a spotted skim of lacing.

Smell: It smells like a very chocolaty Reese’s peanut butter cup — or maybe a Dairy Queen Blizzard with pieces of Reese’s. Lots of chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, molasses, pumpkin (yes, I think it is in there), pumpkin pie, and a hint of booze.

Taste: The mouthfeel is thick and creamy but the flavors are subdued compared to the aroma. Chocolate, roasted malts, molasses, and pumpkin pie. There is a hint of booze and each sip leaves a slightly spicy aftertaste.

Drinkability: It is an experience. It is not something I would drink a lot of but it is something that should be experienced.

Fun facts about Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout:

-Style: It is classifies on BA as “American Double/Imperial Stout.”

-Price: $8.99/four-pack at the “Drug Town” on North First Avenue in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 50-55ºF.

-Alcohol content: 7.6 percent ABV. The ABV is printed on the carrying case, not the bottle.

-Food pairings: I hate inserting the food pairings. Unless I think of a good reason to waste my time with them (déjà vu is creeping in) I may discontinue the listing for food pairings. I don’t ever use them.

-GPIS is part of Millstream’s Extreme Series, which I think they should retire. The whole thing was supposed to capitalize on the state’s higher ABV limit but I wonder if people really care about high proof beer. The folks in Amana keep brewing high proof stuff so there is apparently a decent market for it.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts