Beer of the Weekend #398: Bluebird Premium XB

Since this is likely my last BotW as a twentysomething, I took my time browsing the selection at John’s today. Nothing struck my fancy in the walk-in cooler so I focused on the British shelf. After much deliberation I pick out Bluebird Premium XB, brewed by the Coniston Brewing Company of Coniston, Cumbria, United Kingdom.


Honestly, I screwed up. I thought I was buying Bluebird Bitter, a beer I have wanted to try since those heady days just after I turned 21. I did not realize I bought the wrong beer until now. Regardless, I will drink it.

Serving type: 500 ml bottle. A batch code is printed on the label but there is no freshness date.

Appearance: Straight pour into a nonick pint glass. The color is hazy, medium copper. Two fingers of dense, off-white, rocky head dissipated slowly.

Smell: Sharp and British. The “American aroma hops” give it a very acute and concentrated grapefruit aroma, reminiscent of dish soap. It dominates the aroma. I can detect some sweet caramel malts and grassy British hops, but the dish soap aroma is omnipresent and pervasive.

Taste: Very strange mouthfeel: dry and powdery; it is almost like Tang after it has been mixed with water. The flavor is a weak reflection of the smell: sharp citrus hops (which is slightly similar to the dish soap of the smell), caramel, and earthy hops.

Drinkability: Needless to say, the dish soap quality is very off-putting. I will drink it but I doubt if I will ever buy it again.

Fun facts about BPXB:

-Style: It is classified on BA as “English Bitter.”

-Price: $5.99/bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 4.4 percent ABV.

-Yes, for now I have decided to stop listing the food pairings.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C.

Popular Posts