Beer of the Weekend #395: Staghorn Octoberfest

Once again I am sampling early. I have no clue what I will be doing tonight so I want to fit in this week’s BotW while I can.

The beer this weekend is a special seasonal release my aunt and uncle picked up in Wisconsin: Staghorn Octoberfest, brewed by the New Glarus Brewing Company of New Glarus, Wisconsin.


I told them to keep it cool and out of the sun but I am unsure how well they did that. My aunt took me out for lunch yesterday and the Staghorn sixer was in the back of her van. It was uncovered and she had been out and about for hours. Ideally, beer needs to be treated like milk when it is transported. However, most people treat it like bottled water and do not think sun or heat will affect it. In fact, sun and heat will easily ruin beer. Needless to say, I am a little concerned.

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. A batch code is printed on the shoulder but there is no easily discernable freshness date.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is medium amber with a Halloween-esque tint of pumpkin orange. Two fingers of thick, eggshell-colored head dissipated fairly slowly to leave a spotted lacing.

Smell: The aromas are pretty muted at first but emerge slowly. Lightly toasted malts, sweet caramel, toffee, butterscotch, maple syrup, and grassy hops. Honestly, it smells more British than German.

Taste: Lightly toasted malts, caramel, toffee, earthy hops, a hint of butterscotch, and maple syrup. A light bitterness lingers on the tongue after each sip; at time I thought it was metallic.

Drinkability: I was a little disappointed initially but the beer turned into something special. It is a very solid beer and one of the best märzens I have tried.

Fun facts about Staghorn Octoberfest:

-Style: New Glarus calls it “Bavarian Octoberfest.”

-Price: I have no clue since it was a gift. However, I assume they bought it somewhere in Door County.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.25 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: New Glarus recommends, “Swedish Meatballs, Friday Fish Fry, Hearty Roast Beef.” The cheese pairing recommendations are “Green Fields Cow's Milk Semi Soft, Washed Rind (Saxon Homestead Creamery).”

-Nerdiness from the beer’s webpage:

100% Natural - Great Midwest barleys, the world's most expensive hops, fresh yeast from Germany, and clear Wisconsin water make our Staghorn Octoberfest "Wisconsin's Real Red." You will find absolutely no additives, preservatives, or artificial agents of any kind in this bier.

Brewed using the time honored methods and an extra slow lager to release the smooth flavor of our roasted malts. Over 1,100 lbs. of malted barley in every handcrafted batch!

Expect this bier to pour with a rich head of foam that will enhance its incredible spice bouquet. Staghorn Octoberfest combines a smooth amber body with a clean crisp finish. Be sure to hold this one up to the light of any harvest moon and enjoy "Wisconsin's Real Red."

-According to New Glarus’ beer schedule, Staghorn Octoberfest is only available from August to October.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts