Beer of the Weekend #109: Simpler Times Lager

Last Saturday, when I returned to my apartment in Huntington Beach, I found a surprise awaiting me in the fridge: two cans of Henninger Premium Bier. I thought I didn’t have any beer, and planned to get a sixer at the convenience store up the street. But with two lagers already chilled, I decided to get a four-pack of Guinness Draught. It cost $9.99 at Vons.

Are you kidding me? Ten bucks for four beers? Guinness is good, but…shit…not that good. Welcome back to California, huh?

The second beer this weekend is another exclusive offering from Trader Joe’s (at least here on the west coast): Simpler Times Lager brewed by the Minhas Craft Brewery of Monroe, Wisconsin.


I can see the commercials now: “For those who remember simpler times…Simpler Times Lager.” They must make a killing around the nursing homes in Milwaukee.

I’ve seen Simpler Times every time I browsed the beer aisle in TJ’s. (Before closer inspection, I thought it was called Simple Times.) It was always stacked high in promotional displays, maybe on sale, and I’ve read you’re not supposed to buy beer being promoted or placed on sale (more than likely they need to get rid of it for some reason). Last Sunday, at the TJ’s across from UCI, the guy in front of me had a sixer of Simpler Times and was joking with his friend about “simpler times.” It got me curious, so here I am drinking it.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce cans.

Appearance: Poured a clear, clean, light straw yellow. Three fingers of dense, white head developed but dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Adjunct grains, mostly corn. It’s sweet with a faint floral character.

Taste: Simpler Times is surprisingly tasty despite the name, packaging, and price…not to mention appearance and smell. The sweetness from the smell is prominent, masking any kind of cheapness the corn might offer. The corn is still there, which is why BA recommends drinking it close to the freezing point.

Drinkability: They drank pretty well back in Simpler Times. I bet they pounded it down during those hardcore sessions of euchre and dominos. PHONE CHECK, HOMIE!

Fun facts about Simpler Times Lager:

-Price: I can’t remember exactly, but I think the sixer was $5.99 at the TJ’s on Brookhurst and Hamilton.

-Serving temperature: 35-40ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.2 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends barbecue, Indian, Latin, Thai, Asian, peppery cheeses (like Monterey and Pepper Jack), and shellfish.

-Be careful not to mix-up Simpler Times Lager with Simpler Times Pilsner. Yes, much to my surprise, there’s a pilsner version. I’ll have to try it before I move.


The Quiet Man’s grade: C.

Comments

Popular Posts