Beer of the Weekend #381: CynicAle

After two weeks, BotW has returned to its proper Friday night time slot. TGIF, baby!

The last thing we did before leaving the Twin Cities was stop at Richfield Municipal Liquors. (There is, as far as I know, nothing special about RML. I wanted to stop at a beer retailer and RML just happened to be on our way out of town.) Needless to say, I needed a cart for all the beer I wanted. Honestly, though I did not buy a lot; but beer is kind of bulky and awkward. Regardless, everything has been stuffed in my fridge since I returned and I have been eager to start drinking. I already tried Alaskan Summer Ale, but now I am going to start drinking the Minnesota stuff.

The first beer of the weekend (I plan to double dip) is CynicAle, brewed by the Surly Brewing Company of Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.


Serving type: 16-ounce can. The “CANNED ON” date printed on the bottom of the can is “07/16/12.”

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. The color is a lovely, medium gold with an amber tint. Two fingers of eggshell-colored head dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Floral, yet spicy and hefe-like. Lots o’ cloves. It has a nice bouquet of floral hops, which is rounded with Belgian yeast, a little funk, and both pepper and clove spice.

Taste: Smooth, creamy, and well-balanced. The floral hops shine and offer adequate bitterness. Much like the smell, there is also a little funk that is spiced with black pepper and cloves. The can mentions honey, apricot, and peach notes, but I do not really get them. It does, though, have a fruitiness to it.

Drinkability: It does not blow me away but it is a very well-crafted brew. Enticing nose, great flavor, and excellent mouthfeel.

Fun facts about CynicAle:

-Style: Surly calls it “Belgian style Saison/Pale Ale.”

-Price: $9.99/four-pack at Richfield Municipal Liquors in Richfield, Minnesota.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.5 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: BA recommends curried and Thai cuisine; earthy, nutty, and pungent cheeses; salad; poultry; fish; and shellfish.

-IBU: 33.

-Color: 9.6 SRM.

-The beer’s profile on the Surly website, as well as the side of the can, offers this:

Oh great, a fizzy yellow beer in a can, that's just what the craft beer world needs! CynicAle melds Old World ingredients in a new school style. French malted barley, English oats and Belgian yeast create honey & black pepper flavors. Lively Slovenian hops provide the floral, apricot and peach notes. Toss your doubts away, toss one back and enjoy!

I never had any doubts, but I will toss one back anyway.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+/A-.

Popular Posts