Pop-free: Ten years and counting

Dr. Slice

Ten years ago today, while eating at Oasis with Zee German before his return trip to the Bay Area, I washed down a whole falafel sandwich and tray of small fries with a Mountain Dew from the fountain machine. It was the last time I drank pop.

Ten years! I have been pop-free for a decade.

I don’t miss pop. I know it’s tasty, but it is, as I wrote five years ago, “one less nasty thing in my life.” I will admit to being tempted over the last 10 years. Surge’s return made me nostalgic, but it was not enough to break my resolve. (I doubt if Surge is still around … again.) If Dr Slice returned, I would be very tempted. It was The Foxy Lady and I’s favorite pop back in the day (we drank a lot of it at Big Mike’s and that pizza place that replaced Mazzio’s in IC), so I would think a lot about drinking one with her for old-time’s sake. But I don’t think I would.

The Foxy Lady has a high standard for desserts and treats; she does not eat them unless they are “worth it.” (It is something I have adopted as well. One of my weight-loss rules is to only eat treats that are homemade or offered by my mother-in-law.) In the case of drinking pop again, it’s not worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts