Beer of the Weekend #1,036: Clean Up Crew

The beer I drank last Wednesday was the last of my Wisconsin haul: Clean Up Crew, brewed by the Drekker Brewing Company of Fargo, North Dakota.

Clean Up Crew

Serving type: 16-ounce can. “CANNED ON 05/18/23 11:00 AM FL” is printed on the bottom.

Appearance: Poured into my John’s Grocery pilsner glass. The color is clear light gold. A finger of off-white, buttery head leaves a thick spotted skim and thick ring around the edge.

Smell: The first whiff is a big dose of citrus and fruit that is reminiscent of stinky armpits. It is an interestingly combo. Grape, peach, apple, and grapefruit are what come to mind. It is vinous and bready, too, and has a hint of lemon.

Taste: It tastes like what I image the creepy man’s hat on the label tastes like. It is a little like weird grape or apple juice. It tastes really strange, almost like wine. A reviewer on BA noted yeast, so I will attribute the weirdness to the thiolized yeast.

Fun facts about Clean Up Crew:

• Style: “Thiolized lager” is written on the can.

• Price: $14.99 for a four-pack of 16-ounce cans at the Hansen’s IGA in Elkhorn, Wisconsin.

• Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

• I had never heard of Drekker until visiting El Bait Shop last month. A Drekker logo sign was hanging outside and the name and viking imagery intrigued and delighted me, mostly because I like saying the name over and over in a low Scandinavian accent, because I’m weird like that. I had never seen Drekker in Iowa and jumped at the opportunity to buy it when I spotted it in Wisconsin. Ironically, I saw it at the Hy-Vee in Decorah.

• Drekker beers feature creepy label artwork, stuff that reminds me of
Return of the Living Dead.

The Quiet Man’s grade: C-.

Comments

Popular Posts