Beer of the Weekend #615: Pumpkin Pie Lust

Last night I reached into the custom sixer I bought at the Roelli Cheese Haus and pulled out a bottle of Pumpkin Pie Lust, brewed by the New Glarus Brewing Company of New Glarus, Wisconsin.


Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, caramel brown into a 300 ml weizen glass. Three fingers of dense, tan-colored head dissipates slowly ad leaves lacing stuck to the glass.

Smell: Oooo! Pumpkin pie to the max! It smells like real pumpkin purée spiced with cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg and allspice. True to the weizen style, there are also hints of apple, banana, and cloves.

Taste: Not as spicy as the smell led me to believe. Pumpkin is still present, but it is not as prominent or tasty as I expected from the aroma. At least at first. The taste of pumpkin slowly emerges from the more domestic wheat beer flavor of light wheat and yeast. There is not as much spice, either, but cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice are noticeable. As the beer continues to warm (it was in the back of my fridge chilling around 32 degrees), the pumpkin pie flavor does gain prominence.

Drinkability: Pumpkin weiss? What a concept! Leave it to the folks at New Glarus to put a festive and tasty spin on a traditional favorite. The smell is awesome, but I wish the taste matched the aroma’s pumpkin pie intensity. When I drink pumpkin ale, I am truly lusting for pumpkin pie in a bottle! This only satisfied half of my lust.

Fun facts about Pumpkin Pie Lust:

-Style: New Glarus calls it “Pumpkin Weiss.”

-Price: The two bottles I bought were part of a custom sixer that cost $8.49.

-Alcohol content: No ABV info is available.

-Food pairings: Listed on the beer’s webpage are holiday ham or roast, baked Brie, English toffee pudding, and gingerbread.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts