Beer of the Weekend #593: Summit Summer Ale

The beer of the weekend is Summer Ale, brewed by the Summit Brewing Company of St. Paul, Minnesota.


Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. “ENJOY BY 11/09/14” is written on the shoulder. The month is a little smeared but I think it is “11.” Or at least I hope.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is clean, clear straw. A finger of dense, white head lingered for a while before slowly dissipating.

Smell: Light and summer-like. Pale malts, wheat, earthy hops, and some light zest.

Taste: The mouthfeel is light and fluffy. The flavor mostly mirrors the smell. Pale malts, wheat, a little yeast, earthy hops, some lemony zest that reminds me of lemon seeds, and perhaps a little spice.

Drinkability: I honestly did not know what to expect from this beer; I did not even know what style to expect. However, I should have known better. It is a light and refreshing brew, but I am just not a fan of these kinds of summer ales.

Fun facts about Summer Ale:

-Style: It is classified on BA as a kölsch. What?! I do not have much experience with kölsch, but I do not remember it being like this.

-Price: $7.99/sixer at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: Summit recommends serving at “40-45° F, in a Stange or Unchained glass.” I think I will bust out my stange for the next bottle.

-Alcohol content: 4.4 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: Man! All the old features are making a comeback tonight thanks to the thoroughness of the folks at Summit! Summit recommends, “Pork, fish, salads, creamy pasta dishes, German cuisine.”


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Popular Posts