Election 2012: my ballot


Last night I hung up on Barbara Bush.

I was house-sitting for my parents and let the answering machine pick up the call from “UNAVAILABLE.” The former first lady was leaving a message, telling us how we should vote for Mitt Romney, when I picked up the receiver and put it back in the cradle. Denied!

Today the polls opened at 7:00 a.m. and do not close until 9:00 p.m. Go vote.

Unfortunately, I did not get around to writing any “endorsements.” I got caught up watching the final episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and then was once again enchanted by the magical cheesiness of To Live and Die in L.A. (I guess Wang Chung has that affect on me.) Regardless, I cast my ballot (the 113rd at my precinct) a few hours ago and thought I would run down my choices.

FOR UNITED STATES REPRESENTATIVE
2ND DISTRICT

There was no way I was voting for any of the listed candidates (Archer, Loebsack, and (ugh!) Aversa) so I wrote-in my dad. My dad is my role model and hero. He is caring, practical, and brave. He is a hard worker; for twenty-seven years he worked for the IC streets department, enduring the hell of leaf removal in the fall and waking in the middle of the night to plow snow in the winter. He served in Vietnam and is a disillusioned Catholic. He likes dirty jokes and dropping the f-bomb. He does not take shit from anyone; when someone screws my dad over, he does not give them a chance to do it again.

FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE
HOUSE DISTRICT 85

I left this section blank. Democrat Vicki Lensing is running unopposed and I could not think of anyone (at least a real, live human being) I wanted to write-in.

FOR BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
I did not cast a vote in the Board of Supervisors race, either. When South Carolina Democrats shamelessly refused Stephen Colbert’s application for their state primary, saying he was a distraction and not a serious candidate, I vowed never to vote for Democrats. I kept that promise today but it was tempting to vote for the three Democratic incumbents (Pat Harney, Terrence Neuzil, and Rod Sullivan) because the other two candidates (David Kimm Fesler and John Etheredge) seemed pretty wacky. At least their responses to the CRG voter’s guide seemed a little out of touch. For the few questions he did answer, Etheredge was very curt and impersonal, and it seemed like Fesler wrote his responses on valium; at points he rambled off-subject and made little sense.

FOR COUNTY AUDITOR
I wrote in Bobblehead for this one. A man dedicated to choice, democracy, and constructive thinking, I think he would make a great auditor.

FOR COUNTY SHERIFF

I left this one blank, too. I thought about writing-in Deputy Dawg but decided against it.

FOR SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT COMMISSIONER
and
FOR COUNTY AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION COUNCIL

I left these two sections blank, too. Three and four candidates, respectively, were vying for three and four seats, respectively. I failed (FAILED!) as a citizen to educate myself about each candidate so I did not feel like casting a vote.

JUDICIAL BALLOT

Yes, I flipped my ballot over and voted “YES” to retain all the judges up for retention — including the embattled David Wiggins. I believe in an independent judicial system free of political influences. I also believe in liberty and justice for all.

The result of Wiggins’ retention vote is likely to be the most-anticipated outcome in the state, especially after a majority of voters ousted three Supreme Court judges in 2010. The contention stems from the Varnum v. Brien decision. Instead of going into detail about the whole thing, I think the shift in rhetoric against Wiggins is noteworthy. This time around, Bob Vander Plaats and his fellow same-sex marriage opponents were not, as far as I could tell, making this an issue about marriage. Instead, they have been painting Wiggins as an activist judge who legislated from the bench. The social apocalypse they predicted after Varnum has yet to materialize — everyone I know who was married before is still married — so they have adjusted accordingly, especially since the perception of judicial activism may have been the driving force behind the removal of justices in 2010.

PUBLIC MEASURE A
I voted “YES” for the justice center bond, even though I had some issues with it and the measure probably has no chance in hell of passing (it needs a 60 percent majority).

The current jail in Johnson County is woefully outdated and inadequate; it is so small that we pay neighboring counties to hold our inmates. That is not cool. Our courthouse is even more outdated and inadequate, and a lack of security has officials concerned about safety. We obviously need to start thinking ahead as the county’s population grows. No one wants crime to increase but that seems to be the trend. The sheriff and other proponents emphasized the need to expand and renovate; opponents decried the “TSA-style” security measures planned for the new justice center and said the increased jail space would only encourage local law enforcement agencies to fill it. Opponents also warned that parking was not taken into account and that the bond money was only allocated for construction. The official language on the measure said the bond is “for the purpose of erecting and equipping a County Justice Center.” The agencies that would use the building are already tied to local funding so I am not sure what the big deal was.

However, even though I voted for the measure I do think the county can develop a better plan. Also, I would like to see officials think outside of the box. Why not build a combined justice center and jail elsewhere? Why does it have to be smack dab in the middle of Iowa City still? These are issues that should be discussed as we move forward, assuming the measure fails.

FOR PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT

Though this was the first bubble I filled in, I have saved this revelation for last. And those who know me should not be surprised: I voted for Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala of the Green Party.

I am proud to say this is the second time I have voted for female presidential and vice presidential candidates. I voted for Cynthia McKinney and her running mate, Rosa Clemente, four years ago. How many times have you voted for an all-female presidential ticket?

Popular Posts