Beer of the Weekend #403: Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH)

It’s late but I won’t be able to sleep if I hit the sack. I also have a lot of beer in my fridge, so after placing BotW on hiatus last Friday I have decided to drink one of my remaining birthday beers: Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH), brewed by the Kiuchi Brewery of Naka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan.


I think my aunt chose it because of the owl on the cap. She is collecting caps for some reason and I suspect it has to do with my Christmas present. She’s cool like that.

Serving type: 11.2-ounce bottle. A batch code is printed on the back label but there is no discernable freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color is murky caramel/amber. There is quite a bit of hovering sedimentation. Two fingers of off-white head dissipated to leave a ring around the edge and a thin lacing.

Smell: There is a lot going on. It is sharp and pungent, sweet and sour. There is pepper and woody spice almost reminiscent of pine. Perhaps, though, it is the oak from the aging process. Basically, it imparts that boozy, aged aroma. It also smells like clove and cinnamon, or something Christmasy. Caramel, sake, plum, raisins, and prunes.

Taste: It has a creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel. The flavors are not as potent as the aromas; there is a lot more balance compared to the craziness of the smell. The woodiness is very prominent, as well as the spice and sake. Caramel, plum, and molasses stand out. As it warms, a little citrus begins to emerge as well. It leaves a warm, spicy aftertaste lingering on the roof of my mouth.

Drinkability: This is a unique and strange little beast. Loads of complexity and I like the fact it is aged in sake casks. Tasty and powerful, this is well-made stuff.

Fun facts about HNEHXH:

-Style: The brewery calls it “Strong Belgian Brown Ale” and it is classified on BA as “Belgian Strong Dark Ale.”

-Price: It was a gift so I have no clue.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 8 percent ABV.

-As mentioned above, Hitachino Nest Extra High (XH) is matured in sake casks. According to the back label (verbatim with typos):

This strong ale was mature in Oak Casks which was used for maturation of Shocyu.

Shocyu is distilled Sake,so place enjoy rich flavor bothfrom beer and Sake.

The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts