The Novel Diary: Week 24

Word counts: 30,607 (total).

I took last week off and decided not to do any novel writing this week, either. Having reasoned through what to do in Chapter 6 the best way I know how (writing about writing), I don’t necessarily need to take another break. However, I want to take one. I am feeling lazy ahead of the Fourth week and will likely take next week off, too. Consider it my summer vacation.

I bumped into a former boss downtown a couple weeks ago. She is working on a novel, too, and has been for a couple years. Years. She said she works on it every now and then, letting her characters “hanging out over here for a while.” That blew my mind. Having committed this much time and thought to the project already, having done this much writing, I cannot imagine setting it down for months. (Though I will apparently put it aside for three weeks.) Anyway, I told her I was 30,000 words in and did not think I could put it down now.

“Translate that to pages,” she said. I had no clue how to so she did some voodoo math in her head and said, “That’s about 150 pages.”

Whoa. That shocked me. I have apparently written 150 print pages with almost no story. I really need to get this piece moving.

Comments

Popular Posts