USA 114, Finland 55



Though college football dominated the sporting headlines in the United States today, the FIBA Basketball World Cup tipped off in Spain. I resolved to post results and pictures for Team USA’s FIFA World Cup games from now on (let’s see if I remember that in four years), so it only make sense for me to do the same for the World Cup of my favorite sport.

Though I did not watch it, Team USA rolled over Finland in Bilbao. According to the AP article posted on ESPN.com, the Fins are the lowest ranked team to ever receive a World Cup wild card birth. FIBA apparently noted “Finland's improvement on the court and the strength of its fan base. And it didn't hurt that Finnish company Rovio, maker of the Angry Birds games, offered to provide advertising for FIBA if Finland was selected.”

Ah. I see how it is.

The good news today, especially for Bulls fans, was Derrick Rose’s performance. After suffering season-ending knee injuries the last two NBA seasons, he played 23 minutes and scored 12 points.

Popular Posts