Beer of the Weekend #492: Midnight Ryder

Tomorrow morning, starting bright and early at 6:45, Bobblehead and I plan to watch the opening games of the 2013–14 Premier League season. I am stoked and prepared: I grabbed a twelve-pack of Shift Pale Lager. At first I thought about buying something English, but then realized I could buy a better, American-made beer for cheaper. Ten years ago I never thought I would say that. We are living in a golden era of American brewing, folks. Imports have been totally overshadowed.

The beer of the weekend represents the only sixer I bought at Zipp’s: Midnight Ryder, brewed by the Indeed Brewing Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota.


Serving type: 12-ounce can. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is a sexy black, though there is a lot of congealed protein floating around. Two fingers of luscious, dense, tan head dissipates slowly and unevenly, leaving lacing along the glass, a ring around the edge, and a thin skim.

Smell: The aroma is somewhat faint and distant, but I can detect is a harmonious blend of dark, roasted malt flavor and citrus. A hints of chocolate, coffee, and caramel. Each whiff is tinged with playful tangerine and a touch of pine.

Taste: The roasted malts are upfront and momentarily trick the taste buds into thinking it is a stout. The mouthfeel is lightly creamy as well. Then the bitterness and citrus kick in; tangerine throws them for an unexpected loop. The tail coats the tongue and tickles the uvula with a syrupy pine resin aftertaste.

Drinkability: Pretty good stuff. Very well-crafted and flavorful. I bet this can is on the older side, so I wonder what a fresher edition would taste like.

Fun facts about Midnight Ryder:

-Style: American Black Ale.

-Price: I forgot the receipt. Boooo!

-Alcohol content: 6.5 percent ABV.

-IBU: 80.

-Nerdiness from the beer’s webpage:

Midnight Ryder – a hat tip to Bischoff’s son, Elliott Ryder – is cloaked in mystery and full of surprises. A style of disputed origins and merit, American Black Ale puts a distinctly American twist on the India Pale Ale with five varieties of malt that give this dark beer a medium body and a complex array of flavors including caramel, chocolate and a smidgen of roast. Sealing the deal are six varieties of American-grownhops added throughout the 90-minute boil (Willamette, Cascade, CTZ, Warrior, Summit, and Glacier,. This beer offers a resinous and piney character with just enough citrus to bring balance at the finish line.

“Bischoff” is Indeed brewer Josh Bischoff. The symbolism of “Midnight Ryder” is fuzzy to me.

-For those of you who want to see the art in all (or most) of its glory, here is a close-up of the monocled rider and bear:


Again, I have no clue what the connection to the brewer’s son is. Does it mean his son was born around midnight? I have no clue.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts