The Gems of Sharpless: June 27, 2012

Though I am not certain, Gems may go on hiatus next week since the Fourth falls on a Wednesday. I did not see any signs today about Sharpless being closed on the Fourth, but I was not looking for one.


Have I mentioned that Sharpless auctions cars and trucks? The good ones are featured at the front of the first building for all to see. Everything else — i.e., the junk — is in the large yard where the lawn equipment and farm implements are.


“Thank you, sir! May I have another!”


This is an awful pic, but I think this is an “Iowa City Toilet Goods” belt buckle.


A children’s scrapbook full of old magazine cut-outs.


A Latimer, Iowa centennial bell. This interested me because my maternal grandfather was from Latimer. The Lutheran cemetery contains a ton of my relatives.


Just what I have always wanted: a Smith & Wesson cap.


Last week I found a Pepsi bottle commemorating the 1978 Iowa-Iowa State football game. This week I found one for the 1977 match-up, the first of the current rivalry series. The Hawks won, 12-10. According to Wikipedia, the first four games of the current series were played in Iowa City; 1981 was the first year it was played in Ames. Weird.


A portrait of a woman. This is like one of those family albums multiplied by two. Who would want to buy a portrait of someone they do not know? Note the question mark on the masking tape tag. Usually the tags feature numbers identifying the person selling the item. However, Sharpless apparently does not know who this portrait belongs to.


At first I thought these were beer cars, but instead they are “contribution coin banks.” The tops featured slits for coins.


This here was interesting, though I did not take a picture of the cover. This book was the Cedar County Atlas, featuring plot maps and portraits of everyone living in Cedar County in 1977. It is like a yearbook for a whole country. I have never seen one and it blew my mind. Things like this are palpable reminders that we live in a completely different era.


A Heinz Vinegar dispenser. I cannot even begin to imagine why such a thing would be needed.


This gem is an unopened Wisconsin Dells vacation guide, circa 1991, on VHS.


A vehicle suited for the yard. I have no clue what letter was between “DO” and “ING.”


These are the exact same kind of chairs that were in the study hall at City High. The ones with the wide, rectangular desks were, I remember, more suitable for napping. Amazingly, the desktops and chair backs were clean of graffiti. From what I remember, those at CHS were pretty colorful, especially the chair backs. I remember one in particular that had “BIG ASS” written across the top bar.

Popular Posts