Clemson 71, Iowa 55


The Hawks are in a major slump. Or, perhaps, they have been in a slump all year and were able to hide it behind wins against weaker opponents. Shots are not falling and every bounce is going against them. It is very frustrating to watch. When I returned home, Mervgotti said, in that snide way of his, “I feel bad for all those people who have season tickets. Sorry, bud.” I take consolation in hoping the whole season cannot be this bad.

It all went south against Creighton. Creighton is a damn good team, so I did not mind losing to the Jays. I felt confident the Hawks would rebound against Campbell, but that turned into the worst nonconference loss in Carver-Hawkeye Area history. Ouch. It was understandable, too, since Campbell had beaten three other BCS conference teams. The Mastodons of IPFW also gave the Hawks a run. (At one point in that game my dad said, “They shouldn’t even be on the court with us.”) Walking with Bobblehead to the arena tonight, I told him I had no clue what was going to happen. There was a chance it could turn into a blowout, and, unfortunately, it did.

The Hawks have billed themselves as being more talented than last year. If they are, it truly has not showed. Add to that the fact the inside game has been shut down by both opponents and the rim, and that the Hawks cannot buy buckets from the outside, and you get a confidence killing stew. The only bright spots so far have been the promising play of freshmen Aaron White and Josh Oglesby.

The best part of the game tonight? The halftime performance by the Hawkeye Marching Band drumline. I have always liked drumline, and Bobblehead echoed a sentiment I have also felt: I think it would have been cool to play in the drumline in high school. But, alas… Making the performance even cooler was the impromptu “marching” of fellow HMB members from the student section and pep band.

Comments

Popular Posts