Beer of the Weekend #260: Coors Light

Goodbye, AAA credit rating. Besides that, I really cannot think of anything quirky to say.

Thank God they bottle adjuncts in 40s. It saves me from buying an entire six-pack or worse. I plan to get 40s when I can, but otherwise I will have to bite the bullet. Bobblehead’s wife may be the beneficiary of a couple beer donations.

The beer tonight is another installment of my Great Adjunct Adventure and another brew from my birth state: Coors Light, brewed by the Coors Brewing Company of Golden, Colorado.


I am wondering if this is the first time I have ever reviewed a light lager for BotW. If so, hooray. Walk tall, Coors Light. Walk tall.

As you can see, my Ikea desk has once again become my photo staging area. After being stored in my closet for the past 13 months, I put it together Sunday for the first time since I took it apart the day before I left Huntington Beach. It is still a workhorse, though I should have gotten a better beer to welcome it back. I also need a lamp because the lighting in my room sucks balls.

Serving type: One 40-ounce bottle. I think there is a freshness date printed on the shoulder, but I cannot make it out.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a clear and clean very pale straw. Two fingers of white head dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Faint aroma of cereal grains and adjunct, which smells a little like rice in this case.

Taste: There is flavor there, but it is very faint and mirrors the cereal grain and (rice?) adjunct from the smell. Other than that it is just water. On that note, I bet the Rocky Mountain melt water supposedly used to brew it has more flavor.

Drinkability: It is in no way offensive, but I do find it insulting.

Fun facts about Coors Light:

-Style: BA classifies it as “Light Lager.” Here are the details:

The Light Lager is generally a lighter version of a breweries premium lager, some are lower in alcohol but all are lower in calories and carbohydrates compared to other beers. Typically a high amount of cereal adjuncts like rice or corn are used to help lighten the beer as much as possible. Very low in malt flavor with a light and dry body. The hop character is low and should only balance with no signs of flavor or aroma. European versions are about half the alcohol (2.5-3.5% abv) as their regular beer yet show more flavor (some use 100% malt) then the American counterparts. For the most part this style has the least amount of flavor than any other style of beer.

The Alström brothers are talkin’ mad shit.

-Price: $2.99/40-ounce bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City. I almost shit my pants when the total of $3.25 rang up. I remember buying 40s of malt liquor (you know — the
real shit) for under two bucks back in college.

-Serving temperature: BA says to serve it 40-45ºF, but I suggest drinking it straight from the fridge when it is as cold as possible.

-Alcohol content: 4.2 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: Like water, it probably goes well with everything.

-Coors Light was first produced in 1978.

-According to Mervgotti, Coors Light will soon become the second most popular beer in the world, bumping Miller Light to third. Of course, that’s unsubstantiated; Mervgotti is not the World Almanac or New York Times.

-For whatever reason, I have always thought the “Silver Bullet” nickname gave Coors Light a certain mystique. I guess it’s an eighties thing; you had to grow up during the era when Coors Light commercials featured a real silver bullet zooming across the screen. (As well as a ton of LA Style gel and huge hair.)

-While I am reminiscing about beer commercials from the eighties, I have to say Spuds McKenzie has always stuck with me. There was just something about that dog that made those commercials so memorable and stereotypically eighties.


The Quiet Man’s grade: D.

Comments

Popular Posts