College: five years gone

Tonight in front of the Hideaway was a chalkboard that read “GRADUATING CELEBRATE ON THE PATIO.” It didn’t make sense since I think the chalker forgot the question mark behind “GRADUATING.” Anyway, it reminded me that five years ago today I took my last final at Iowa.

It was for Gerry Rushton’s Population Geography class, and was in the same mini lecture room of the Pappajohn Business Building where we met Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Why was the class in the business building? I have no clue, but it was a warm-up to the sterile, soulless, yet aesthetically and technologically advanced inners of corporate America. Anyway. The final was at 10 or 11 am. I did my best, handed it in, and walked home. Done. The end. After nine semesters, I was a college graduate.

I didn’t walk. Why should I have? All the people, all the hassle. Sheeee-it. My mom was pretty pissed, but I would have needed to order the cap and gown months earlier. I don’t regret not walking, but I will say it left my college experience lacking a ceremonious finale.

Having grown up in Iowa City, I saw the students hanging out on porches, throwing disc on the Pentacrest, and looking worldly and experienced at Prairie Lights readings. I expected college to be fun and crazy in that almost grown up way. It was crazy and sometimes fun, but, for the most part, it was lackluster and did not live up to the stereotype. For me I doubt if it ever could have; the Animal House or PCU mentality is not in my nature. It was what it was.

So I have been out of college as long as I was in college. Whoop de doo.

Comments

Popular Posts