Beer of the Weekend #236: Cream City Pale Ale

The original plan tonight was to go camping at the Rez. However, the clouds opened and the scent of rain wafted through my windows around 5:30. Bummer. Good thing I grabbed a sixer of the beer of the weekend: Cream City Pale Ale, brewed by the Lakefront Brewery, Incorporated of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.


Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles. Along the side of the label are two “BOTTLED During:” notches, one corresponding to “Mar” and the other at “Wk1.” JUST GIVE ME THE GODDAMN BOTTLING DATE!

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a light amber. Two fingers of eggshell-colored head dissipated slowly to leave trails along the glass and a billowy lacing.

Smell: The aroma is dominated by grapefruit citrus and metallic hops, but neither are overpowering. They are kept at bay by sweet caramel.

Taste: Compared to the bitterness and citrus of the smell, the corresponding flavors are pretty weak. The mouthfeel is a little watery, which dilutes the hop citrus. However, I need to keep in mind it is not IPA, but IPA’s little brother. For the most part, the flavor mirrors the smell: grapefruit citrus balanced perfectly with sweet caramel malts. A very faint bitterness is left lingering on the cheeks and back of the tongue, and I can taste a little hint of vanilla as each sip goes down.

Drinkability: A very well balanced beer, but it lacks the crispness I expect from an APA. It’s a decent brew nonetheless.

Fun facts about CCPA:

-Style: BA classifies it as an American Pale Ale.

-Price: $8.99/sixer at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: The Lakefront website suggest an “ideal serving temperature” of 52-54ºF.

-Alcohol content: 5.7 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: The CCPA webpage has this suggestion: “Try this one with salads, cheeses, or any rich, fatty food.” Fatty food? Oh, Wisconsin.

-Nerdiness from the bottom of the carrier:

Lakefront Brewery is a locally-owned microbrewery specializing in traditional and innovative styles of beer. Since 1987, we have pioneered the revival of true craft brewing in Milwaukee. We are proud to be located in a historic building between the banks of the Milwaukee River and the old “Beer Line” railroad tracks that served the famous breweries of Milwaukee.

It makes you want to visit Milwaukee, huh? I was there once, in 1999, and I can’t say it was anything special. Then again, I was with my parents and underage, so maybe an adult visit to Milwaukee would be badass.

-Sure, it’s time to drink a little pale ale, but CCPA’s selling point for me was the complimentary sticker that came with the six-pack.


I am a sucker for stickers. Now if I can only figure out where to put it…

-The Cream City name pays homage to Milwaukee. Many buildings in the city were built with cream-colored bricks, lending Milwaukee the nickname “cream city.”

-Speaking of Wisconsin, next Friday I will be visiting the New Glarus Brewing Company. I will be taking a cooler so I can return with as many New Glarus goodies as possible. I have my heart set on packages of Moon Man, Fat Squirrel, maybe Spotted Cow (it’s Wisconsin; why not?), Dancing Man Wheat, Imperial Weizen, and Totally Naked.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Comments

Popular Posts