Michigan State 24, Stanford 20


During the fourth quarter of today’s Rose Bowl, my heart was in my throat. Each beat shook my entire body. I was anxious, hoping and praying the Spartans would prevail and give the Big Ten some much needed pride after years of New Year’s disappointment in Pasadena.

Having grown up in Big Ten country, I take the Rose Bowl personally. I take all the Big Ten-tied bowls personally to a certain extent (I read about Minnesota’s loss in the Whatever Bowl a day or two afterward and said “Bummer”), but the Rose is exceptional. It sounds stupid (and it is absolutely meaningless in the grand scheme of life) but it feels as if conference and regional pride is on the line — which is exactly why I was so trepidatious. The anxiety began to rise during the third and it was in full effect after Stanford cut the lead to four and Michigan State punted. I have always liked the Pac-12, and was a big fan of the conference when I lived on the west coast, but my identity and heart belong to the Big Ten and “I” want to win the Rose Bowl.

Needless to say, I breathed a huge sigh of relief (after jumping from my seat, pumping my fist, and an ecstatic “Yeah!”) after the Spartans’ victory-clinching fourth down stop. The Rose Bowl, baby!

Popular Posts