Beer of the Weekend #549: Harpoon IPA

The second beer from my cousin’s custom sixer from Texas is a little past its prime in terms of freshness but still pretty tasty: Harpoon IPA, brewed by the Harpoon Brewery of Windsor, Vermont.


Because of the age of the bottle I was unsure if I would post this review, but the beer turned out well enough that I decided it was worthwhile. (Of course, at some point I will need to grab a fresher bottle.)

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. The “ENJOY BY” date printed on the neck is “12/15/13.” Oh well.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is deep gold. A finger of tight, beige, buttery head leaves a bubbly skim, ring around the edge, and a little lacing stuck to the glass.

Smell: A massive dose of skunk hit my nose when I popped the cap. That was perhaps not a good sign since this beer is a month past due and I have no clue how it was previously handled. Thankfully, though, the skunk fades after the beer has breathed. There are scents of grassy and floral hops, sweet fruit (mostly apple), and pale malts.

Taste: Very unlike a modern IPA and very reminiscent of a sharp, crisp helles or Czech pilsner. How much of that has to do with the bottle’s age and the amount the hops have dissipated will remain unknown until I try a refresher bottle sometime in the future. (I will be in San Antonio in March and may have the chance to do that then.) However, the taste is pretty solid. Grassy hops dominate and floral hops complete a sunny meadow flavor. The pale malts from the aroma are noticeable but not so much the fruit. A dash of lemon zest is also detectable.

Drinkability: Even if it is bad, it’s still at least tasty and very drinkable. (The brewery’s website mentions elements of citrus and pine from Cascade hops, but those obviously faded from this bottle a long time ago.) Obviously, I need to track down a fresher bottle.

Fun facts about HIPA:

-Style: American IPA.

-Price: Unloading a relative’s U-Haul.

-Alcohol content: 5.9 percent ABV.

-IBU: 42.

-HIPA was first brewed in 1993.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Popular Posts