The Gems of Sharpless: September 18, 2013

I was really busy last week and had no time to visit Sharpless. Thank God the same is not true this week. (I am still busy, but was able to visit over lunch.)

-Comfortable, but ugly.

-Bears!

-A matchbox gas station that is probably from the UK. How can I tell it is from the UK? “Forecourt” was my first tip, though I am not sure it is a strictly British term. The cars on the highway in the background are driving on the left, as are the cars entering the station. And the dead giveaway is the use of “TYRES” on the window sign. Plus, I do not think that BP logo was ever used in the US; it predates the time when Amoco and Standard stations were rebranded as BP.

-I have always loved The Hunt for Red October. The movie, not the book. To be fair, though, I have never read the book. If I ever read it, I am pretty sure it would be near impossible not to image Sean Connery as Captain Ramius.

-Yes, this is a box full of GoldenEye promotional trading cards. Who knew such a thing existed?

-This was an odd little box. Along with Hawkeye basketball memorabilia (including a trading card for one-and-done Ricky Davis) was a Veisha guide from 1986. I assume those were the pre-riot days.

-GI Joe meets the Yeti.

-C-R-E-E-P-Y.

-If they were owned by the same person, I bet the poster and Genesis were in the same room.

-I am pretty sure I had the exact same lunchbox when I was a kid.

-I have no clue how this game is played — yet it seemed oddly familiar.

Popular Posts