Beer of the Weekend #506: Shiner Oktoberfest

Today, while perusing the shelves at John’s, I realized I am not keeping up with the new stuff coming into the state. (I noticed four brews from Big Wood — which stunned me because I thought they were only available in Minnesota.) Though it’s not like I was ever trying to do that before, it dawned on me that I have not been too adventurous with my beer selection lately. I need to liven things up, go out on a limb. Use concise, short sentences. I’ll do all that next week because this week is…

Okotberfest! And in honor of Oktoberfest I grabbed something that I hope will sate my thirst for märzen: Shiner Oktoberfest, brewed by the K. Spoetzl Brewery of Shiner, Texas.


In a way, I guess I have already tried to “liven” things up. I chose Shiner Oktoberfest over Goose Island Oktoberfest and La Crosse Oktoberfest. I can hardly contain myself! (Not.)

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is light amber. Two fingers of dense, buttery, eggshell-colored head dissipated slowly and unevenly, leaving lacing along the glass, a thick ring, and patches of thick foam.

Smell: Sweet, malty, and a little fruity. Candy caramel, a little toffee, and cherry licorice. There are hints of toasted malts and floral hops.

Taste: Much like the aroma: sweet, malty, and fruity. Candy caramel, a touch of toasted malts, toffee, and cherry licorice. A light bitterness lingers on the tongue after each sip. After the beer has warmed a bit, scents and flavors of apple emerge. I want to say there is a hint of pepper spice, too, but I am unsure. There is a little spice at the end, which I really appreciate.

Drinkability: I really like this stuff. It is light, flavorful, and very easy to drink. It is not overly malty or heavy, which is ideal for Oktoberfest.

Fun facts about Shiner Oktoberfest:

-Style. Märzen.

-Price: $7.99/sixer at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Alcohol content: 5.7 percent ABV.

-IBU: 18.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Popular Posts