'Beer' of the Weekend #503: Ace Hard Pumpkin Cider

This is a Quiet Man first: a hard cider review. I have had apple cider before, just not hard apple cider. And this is one I have heard very good things about: Ace Hard Pumpkin Cider, “brewed” by the California Cider Company of Sebastopol, California.


Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. No freshness or bottling date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is light to medium gold. I expected some kind of head but all that developed was a ring around the edge and wisps of skim on the top.

Smell: It smells a little more like apple pie than pumpkin pie, which I have no problem with. Pumpkin is present but faint. Mostly, though, it smells like apple pie spiced with cinnamon and allspice. Yummy!

Taste: Über tart — especially for a beer drinker like me! In that way it is reminiscent of apple juice (which, I guess, it is). The taste buds adjust, thankfully. Both apple and pumpkin pie are present, but I think pumpkin has the flavor edge. Actually, I think it goes back and forth, especially given the cinnamon and allspice. Maybe it is an apple-pumpkin hybrid pie. If there was such a thing, I think it would taste much like this.

Drinkability: This is good stuff. It is quite the curve ball since I have no experience with hard cider, but good stuff. It is light, tasty, and refreshing. I really like the apple and pumpkin hybrid flavors.

Fun facts about AHPC:

-Style: Pumpkin cider.

-Price: $1.99/bottle at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Alcohol content: 5 percent ABV.

-According to the Ace website, AHPC was first made in 2010 and is released after Labor Day. There is no mention of how long the release lasts.

-One of the more interesting things about AHPC is the nutrition facts on the bottle. I am pretty sure labels for hard cider must have nutritional facts. That is obviously not the case with beer.


The Quiet Man’s grade: A-.

Popular Posts