The Gems of Sharpless: July 24, 2013


-Fitting for RAGBRAI week, Sharpless was auctioning a nice (but very small) road bike. Most of the bikes at Sharpless are rusted, discount store mountain bikes from the nineties. This one seemed to be quite pricey, though the attached fact sheet did not list a price.


-Comfortable, but ugly. (I saw this chair last week, too, so it was apparently unsold.) As for the year it was made: I would say around 1992.


-Old five-gallon oil cans.


-Box o’ license plates!


-This was a stack of plastic Ethanol promotional plates.


-There was a lot of interesting glass at Sharpless today, including this gem. I am pretty sure it is worth a little cash. This glass was among others featuring The Empire Strikes Back, The Goonies, and Battlestar Galactica.


-Imitation LEGOs from the forties or fifties. I am pretty sure my grandparents had something like this at their house.


-A 1966 Missouri football glass.


-I have always heard about Mogen David (I guess it was really popular in the seventies), but do not think I had ever seen a bottle until today.


-A bottle of Chamberlain’s Cough Remedy, made in Des Moines, from god knows when. The remedy is still inside because the bottle appeared to be unopened.


-A Garfield phone and clock radio — which probably could have been arranged in a less provocative way.



-A commemorative Coke bottle for the Hawkeyes’ 1982 football season. Seeing the schedule on the back, the most amazing thing is that the season did not kick off until September 11 and there were no bye weeks.


-This was definitely a quirky beer mug. I like the Iowa pride, though.


-An old 7Up bottle. Note the slogan on the bottom: “You like it. It likes you.” That kind of creeps me out.

Popular Posts