Beer of the Weekend #480: Booyah

Hmm… I think I need to write about something other than beer. I’ll do that tomorrow.

The beer tonight is Booyah, brewed by the Milwaukee Brewing Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.


Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color is deep gold or pale-ish copper. Two fingers of off-white head leaves a skim and thin ring around the edge.

Smell: It is definitely a saison, but it is much more spicy than funky. Pepper and herbal spice dominate and there is a hint of funk. Perhaps it is just my imagination but I also smelled a splash of zest.

Taste: The spice from the smell is present but not as dominant. The pepper, herbs, and funk are countered by pale malts. There is a hint of rye as well, and also the splash of zest.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and tasty. I would prefer a little more funk but think it is still pretty tasty.

Fun facts about Booyah(!):

-Style: The brewery calls it “Saison.” Sure. Why not?

-Price: $1.69/bottle at Otto’s Elm Grove Liquors in Elm Grove, Wisconsin.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.5 percent ABV.

-Here’s the skinny on “Booyah” from the beer’s webpage:

We love Wisconsin. Our history and culture give us inspiration for brewing and naming beers.
Since this is a Belgian-style beer, the Flemish-Belgian history of the Green Bay area flows with stories like a keg with a bung blowout.

A very social cultural staple is the Booyah, which is a 55 gallon drum-over-fire stew that is cooked using an “everything but the kitchen sink” mentality, and tended by cooks over a few brews.

This is the perfect story for this beer; Belgian, complex yet simple, and oh so social, hey.

I don’t know about you, but I thought that was kind of disappointing. When I think of “booyah,” I think of the Chicago Bulls’ first three-peat in 1993 and Tag Team’s “Whoomp! (There It Is).” “Booyah” is a very nineties term to me.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B-.

Popular Posts