The Townie Bar Challenge: The Vine Tavern (Coralville)

The Vine Tavern
39 2nd Street
Coralville


It was my turn to pick the “townie bar” and drive. Being Sunday night I knew the options would be limited since most true taverns (as oppose to eateries) would be closed, so I took Bobblehead to The Vine Tavern in Coralville.

(I forgot to take pictures. I had my camera in my backpack, but forgot all about it.)

The Vine is a mini-chain. Along with the two locations in our area (the one we visited tonight in Coralville and the East Prentiss Street address in Iowa City, which is on our list), there are two Vine’s in Tempe, Arizona. I assume the same people, who may split their allegiance between the Hawkeyes and Sun Devils, own them. (It is kind of an odd combination, but not out of the question. My first roommate in Huntington Beach was an Arizona State grad, so our apartment was like a Vine in that sense.)

We entered with our notebooks and thirsts and stood for a moment at the hostess station because the “PLEASE WAIT TO BE SEATED” sign was out. Perhaps someone forgot to put it away because there was no reason for it to be out. About 20 or so people peppered the elevated bar and seating area near the entrance and the sitting area in the far back was closed for the night. The wait staff was cleaning tables, filling condiment racks, and sweeping so I was immediately under the impression we would not stay long. I had called earlier to ask what time they closed and the hostess told me the kitchen closed at 10 but people could hang out afterward. Sunday night, I realized, is not the best time to do a challenge (plus, we did not arrive until after 8 o’clock). From now on I think Bobblehead and I need to reserve Sundays for lunch at sports bars.

However, our hour or so at The Vine was enough to provide a good impression of the place. Unlike Shakespeare’s, which I had never been too, I am very familiar with both area Vine locations. It is a favorite fallback for lunch outings with family. My dad loves the buffalo wings, and Bobblehead admitted the same when we grabbed a booth. However, Bobblehead said he had never been to the Coralville Vine and had a major problem with the high ceilings. The building definitely does not lend itself to coziness and intimacy, and I found myself wondering (probably for the first time ever) what it had been before The Vine. Perhaps it has always been The Vine. I really do not remember for sure, which is a shame. Neighboring Wig and Pen has always been there, but I am fuzzy about The Vine. The date engraved on the bar was “1998,” and I remember it opening around that time, but I do not recall if there had been anything else there or not.

After sitting down we immediately started looking for a beer list, which our waitress assured us did not exist. She rattled off the available brews and we both settled on the “in house” beer; Bobblehead got the stein (“the legendary Vine stein” as the local commercial intones) and I got a pint. I have no clue what style it was, and did not want to scrutinize it, but thought tasted like a red ale and lager (heavy on the lager) hybrid. It was good — much better, at least, than the domestic swill I know for certain they have on tap. After our beers arrived we relaxed (just as the commercial asks; “Cooommme reeelaaax at The Vine), chatted, and watched the Giants-Cowboys game. There were cheers for both teams from the handful of fellow patrons.

Basically, the Coralville Vine is a big sports bar. It is not a townie bar in the traditional sense, but we included it because it is a local watering hole. The East Prentiss location has a college student clientele while the one on the Strip feels more family and professional friendly; close to the hospital, it is a popular lunch destination for UIHC staffers. It leans more restaurant than bar, but still has the same brews, great food, and scenery, if you catch my drift.

I will say this about many local restaurants and bars: the waitresses are very easy on the eyes. The Vine is no exception. As we made our way to our booth, I took a route past the bar to the wall. Coincidentally, a waitress was cleaning the first booth. She had her back turned to me and was bent far over the table, showing me how well she fit into her tight jeans. “Thank you,” I thought.

Speaking of the food, though The Vine has no true veggie-friendly entrée the menu offers a gardenburger substitute for all the burgers. However, most of their burgers are garnished with bacon so vegetarians need to be vigilant. I always get the Sourdough Jo with the gardenburger substitute and fries. The fries are always awesome, especially dipped in a cup of ranch or ranch-chipotle.

Hanging from the high ceilings are Hawkeye flags. Framed pictures of Hawkeyes of yore or jerseys decorate the walls. The booth Bobblehead and I sat at was straddled by a Jess Settles jump shot and a team photo of Iowa’s first wrestling national championship. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Kinnick and Carver, I imagine the place is crazy on football game days and probably used to be equally lively back when the men’s basketball team was nationally relevant.

Overall: The Coralville Vine is a nice place, and I have to give kudos to the ownership for reopening after the building was flooded in 2008. However, I think it is more of a restaurant than bar. Physically, it lacks the kind of intimacy and character a townie bar needs. But being a townie bar is not The Vine’s thing, and I knew that. The food is great, the beer selection is average (not having a beer menu is a big disappointment), and it is a great location to watch a game.

The Quiet Man’s grade: C.

Comments

Popular Posts