[Inaudible mumbling] 80, Iowa 60


Tonight I was a bad Hawkeye fan. I did not watch the game.

Since returning to Iowa, I may have made my peace with the UNI men’s basketball team. As you may recall, a deep hatred for the Panther men burned inside me. As a young Hawkeye fan, I grew to loath UNI after watching a number of talented and highly ranked Iowa teams fall in the UNI-Dome. (I only remember one time for sure, and it obviously made a huge impression.) For years I loved it when the Panthers lost, and even did an impromptu celebration dance at The Que Bar (RIP) when UNI lost in the Division 1A football championship. However, I have mellowed and become a fan of both rival public schools out of state pride. But my friendly, citizen allegiance takes a vacation whenever UNI and Iowa State are pitted against the Hawks. Tonight was one of those nights, and my historical hatred for the Panthers burned hot again. I checked the score every now and then online, but stayed away from the TV.

The Panthers are now the state’s perennial power, and the Hawks took their brow beating. McCaffery was ejected with about four minutes left, but I am unsure why.

To punish my cowardice tonight, I will watch all 40 minutes of the showdown in Ames on Friday, if you can call it a showdown.

Comments

Popular Posts