Planet Funk, 'Chase the Sun'



Another sun themed song post, though this one does not feature a trampoline, short shorts, and tube socks.

“Chase the Sun” is a blast from my senior year of high school. (Which reminds me: I really need to tie the loose ends of my “Ten years gone” series before the year is over.) Back then I used Real Player to listen to the BBC Radio 1 online stream. On Friday’s I stayed at school a few hours after the final bell to listen to Judge Jules. (There was no way I could listen to previous shows whenever I wanted, as I can now. I either listened live or missed it and waited a week for the next show. I guess life required a lot more patience back then.) I know for sure I first heard “Chase the Sun” during one of those devout listening sessions, though I do not remember when.

However, I do vividly remember one time I heard it. It was a dreary, foggy, and cold Sunday in either January or February 2001. At the time I worked 12 hours a week at the Goodwill in Coralville and usually worked all day on Sunday. However, it was a very slow day and my manager sent me home after lunch. I was ecstatic; I hated working Sunday’s. I drove home via First Avenue/Mormon Trek and everything looked gray. When I got home nobody was there. I fired up Real Player on my mom’s computer in the basement, started listening to whatever was on Radio 1 at the time, and watched Hertha Berlin and 1860 Munich play on Fox Sports World. I cracked open a pop, sat back, and relaxed. At some point “Chase the Sun” was played and I thought it fit perfectly.

I do not care for the official music video so I am embedding the club version, which is the one I have as a .mp3 from back in the day. Interestingly, “Chase the Sun” apparently was the theme song for a professional darts league in the UK and is now beloved by darting fans.

Comments

Popular Posts