IHSAA Football Week Zero


Football season is underway in the Hawkeye State. Twenty-four high school games were played last night as a part of Week Zero.

That’s right — Week Zero. August 20.

For whatever reason, the Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) moved the state’s high school football schedule insanely early. School just opened in most districts last week (some started the week before) and now football season is underway? Seems odd to me. Back in the day, when I was in high school, school didn’t start until a week or two before Labor Day, and football season started one or two weeks later. But the trend seems to be moving toward earlier school openings and now an earlier football season.

Since there were only 24 games, not every school in the state, obviously, took advantage of Week Zero. (I think the reasoning behind the early start is to add a bye-week later.) City High was supposed to have their annual, first week of school scrimmage, but I think it was rained out. The Little Hawks start their State Championship defense at Dubuque Senior next Friday.

It’s too early if you ask me, but I’m glad football is back. With five teams within about a 10-mile radius, I will definitely be enjoying the Friday Night Lights this fall (late summer).

Comments

Popular Posts