Beer of the Weekend #151: Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse

I just returned from Cedar Rapids for the opening night of a family reunion on my mom’s side. Needless to say, I just feel like drinking beer and dominating in NCAA.

The beer this weekend is Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse, brewed by the Private Weissbier Brauerei Georg Schneider & Sohn of Kelheim, Germany.


Serving type: Four 16.9-ounce (500 ml) bottles. Once again, no freshness date at all. Only a cryptic batch code on the back label. Shame, shame. I know your name.

Appearance: Poured into a half liter weizen glass. The color is a cloudy orange with a slight ruby tint. Storm clouds of sedimentation rise and fall in the middle. Three fingers of white head developed but didn’t stick around for long; it dissipated to leave a bubbly lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: The most prominent aroma is overripe banana. There’s also clove spice, bubble gum, lemon zest, and dish soap, which, at first, has the potency of high-grade industrial cleaner when combined with the accompanying fruit and citrus. Schneider scented Lysol. Very odd. Thankfully, it fades as the beer warms.

Taste: It tastes true to style, but has a much tangier edge. It’s almost too acidic, and I wonder if this bottle is past its prime. Overripe bananas, clove spice, bubble gum, and a lot of lemon citrus. Also, a little dish soap. I don’t think I have anything to do with that. I rinsed this glass at least three times after washing it.

Drinkability: This is not my favorite hefe. It improved a lot as the beer warmed and the glass emptied, but it’s a little too tangy and zesty for my weizen standard. Still, it’s very flavorful. Another good offering from Schneider.

Fun facts about Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse:

-Style: Hefeweizen.

-Price: $14.99/four-pack at John’s Grocery in Iowa City.

-Serving temperature: BA recommends 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 6.2 percent ABV.

-Food pairings: Recommended on BA is German cuisine, tangy cheeses (Brick, Edma, Feta), salad, poultry, fish, and shellfish.

-A bunch of us at the family reunion went to the Kernels game tonight. One of my “great cousins” got us a luxury box, and my uncle bought some Budmilloors for the suite’s fridge. I wasn’t drinking any of that shit. (I will admit, though, I drank a Coors Light in the first.) About the fifth inning I told my mom I was going downstairs to the Leinenkugel booth on the ground level. “We have beer up here,” she said. “Or are you going to be a beer snob?” Yes. However, the Leinie’s booth was closed so I enjoyed the rest of the Kernels’ win dry.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Comments

Popular Posts