Beer of the Weekend #154: In-Heat Wheat

Tonight my beerware collection lost a member. I accidentally broke my Hacker-Pschorr 300 ml weizen glass in the sink after washing it. I was shaking out the lingering water and slammed the lip into the side of the metal basin.

In the grand scheme of things it’s no big deal — I will get a replacement tomorrow at Dirty John’s — but I feel really bad. Though I bought it here, I took it back to California with me in 2008. It served me well in The Golden State the few times I used it. Each piece of my beerware collection is like family to me, so it’s hard to lose a crystal loved one.

Rest in peace, Hacker-Pschorr glass.

[The sorrowful melody of taps.]

The beer of the weekend is In-Heat Wheat, brewed by the Flying Dog Brewery of Frederick, Maryland.


I chose In-Heat Wheat for the Hunter S. Thompson connection. After finishing Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72 on Sunday, I thought it was fitting to drink a beer from a brewery that takes inspiration from his writing.

Serving type: Six 12-ounce bottles. There is a cryptic code on the label, but no discernable freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. I should have poured it straight because the head was pathetic for a hefe; I only got about a finger of white foam from a careful tip. Including the loosened yeast from the bottom of the bottle, the color is a cloudy gold with a hint of orange or amber.

Smell: Better than the pour. (That, I suppose, is my fault.) The aroma is very true to style: prominent yeast with banana and clove spice. There is just a hint of apple at play, as well.

Taste: Nothing complex and mirrors the smell. Yeast with banana, but the clove spice pairs with pepper and is much more prominent, which is appreciable. It gives the beer a nice flavor kick that separates it from the likes of Blue Moon. There is a salty spritz to the aftertaste, almost like Alka-Seltzer, which I don’t care for much.

Drinkability: Overall not a bad brew. It has a thick mouthfeel, as well, commanding respect. However, I would rather splurge on a genuine Bavarian version any day.

Fun facts about In-Heat Wheat:

-Style: Hefeweizen.

-Price: $6.99/six at John’s Grocery in Iowa City. I realize I’ve been ignoring the vast selections of brew at New Pi and the area Hy-Vee’s, but Dirty John’s is the beer authority. Plus, along with New Pi, it’s locally owned, so I will keep my beer dollar going there for the time being.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: 4.7 percent ABV. It’s printed right on the carrier and bottle label.

-Food pairings: The In-Heat Wheat webpage on the Flying Dog site suggests fish, chicken, and salads.

-IBU: 12, which is also printed on the bottle.

-I think I’ve mentioned this before, but Flying Dog prints very informative light/dark and malty/hoppy line scales on the carrier.

-HST drank a good amount of beer during his travels for
FL ’72, and in a few places he mentions what he drank. He drank a lot of Ballantine on the east coast, and while at a bar in San Francisco, covering a Nixon campaign stop, he drank a Tuborg, a Danish pale lager I had never heard of before. I’ll have to check if Dirty John’s has it.

-You may have noticed I used a different portrait staging area this week. I don’t really care for the bland, mug shot pics I’ve been taking from my end table, so I used the edge of my desk. It looks a lot better.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts