Beer of the Weekend #1,029: V-I-Pilz

For much of my early teens, I wanted to grow up to be a radio station DJ. I loved listening to the radio and wanted to be a part of the magic that made my speakers bounce. Though my dream shifted and I grew up, I still think about DJing, working at a radio station. Perhaps that is why I am such a sucker for radio station–brewery collaborations like this one from Lazer 103.3 and the Confluence Brewing Company of Des Moines Iowa: V-I-Pilz.

V-I-Pilz

Serving type: 16-ounce can. “CANNED ON MAY/16/23” is printed on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass. The color is clear light gold. A finger of off-white, buttery head leaves a skim with larger bubbles and a thick collar.

Smell: Light malt, earthy spice, and a touch of lemon zest.

Taste: Crisp and hoppy. It is a nice little brew. There are flavors of light malt, citrus, rind fruit, and earthy spice. Each sip leaves the taste buds coated in a pleasing bite.

Fun facts about V-I-Pilz:

• Style: Hoppy pilsner.

• Price: $10.99 for a four-pack of 16-ounce cans at the Hy-Vee in Indianola, Iowa. (We were visiting my sister’s fam in Iowa’s ‘Nola last week.)

• Alcohol content: 4.4. percent ABV.

• Here is the (lengthy) description via the can:

Confluence Brewing & Lazer 103.3 are proud to present V-I-Pilz—a SUPERGROUP for the senses. SOUND now has a TASTE, and decades of rock attitude have landed to turn your Iowa patio into an immersive music experience. Pair with Lazer, live from the heart of downtown Des Moines, or launch hours of conversation via the podcast at Lazer1033.com. The first sip feels like catching a glimpse of Andy Hall’s “People’s Eyebrow” in your peripheral vision. Halfway through, you'll remember the last time you raised horns with Suzi, or that time you ran into Samantha Knight on Record Store Day. Soon, you'll be virtually fist-bumping Wickett while you wait for your next pint. Once the bright notes have permeated even the blackest corners of your soul, the can might be empty… but you’ll be filled with the lingering warmth of a hug from Heather. With Confluence Brewing & Lazer 103.3, everyone can now enjoy the perks of a pilsner for the ages: your backstage pass to rockin’ refreshment, V-I-Pilz! Cheers, Rockers!

The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Comments

Popular Posts