Good Tunes: Flyleaf, 'I'm So Sick'


Here’s a throwback gem I heard on Rock 108 while ferrying Sis from day care to preschool yesterday: “I’m So Sick” by Flyleaf.

It had been forever since I heard it. However, though I remembered the song, I recalled nothing else about it. I did not have a strong emotional connection to it, as I do some songs, which evoke feelings, times, and places, allowing me to pinpoint where they fall in my personal history. “When did this come out?” I wondered. So I looked it up and found that it was released in October 2005 on the band’s debut, self-titled album. Other singles from that album include “All Around Me” (which followed “I’m So Sick” during Rock 108’s “double-shot” lunch) and “Fully Alive.” Together, they definitely make me think of the mid-ohs.

I also learned that Flyleaf is considered a Christian rock/metal band. Though the band does not necessarily label themselves as such, religion is a big part of their identity. Lead guitarist Sameer Bhattacharya wrote, “As for us being a ‘Christian band’ or not, whatever :) Call us what you want. We love Jesus and we know he's our Redemption! God is everywhere and being so the inspiration for everything we do and write.” I can’t not think about that now. As much as I want to disregard it and just enjoy their songs, the label taints their music for me. I can’t pinpoint exactly why, though. Maybe I feel the band is trying to influence or change me and I should guard myself against that. It is the same I feel for other bands with the Christian label: I am always aware of it, even if their music is not in-your-face proselytization. Is that fair to them? No, which is why I am uneasy feeling that way.

Comments

Popular Posts