Good Tunes: The Dandy Warhols, 'Bohemian Like You'



Without any games to broadcast or cover over the All-Star break, MLB Network has been dipping into its vault of baseball-related movies to fill time. Among the recent showings has been Summer Catch.

I checked it out since I had never seen it. After all, it’s a baseball movie with Jessica Biel. How can you go wrong with that? (Honestly, I only watched the first 15 minutes.) Anyway, a familiar tune is used early in the movie, something I have heard here and there over the years but never knew the artist or title. After a brief internet search, I learned that it is “Bohemian Like You” by The Dandy Warhol.

It’s a fun, energizing song and I dig the music video. The bar reminds me of The Deadwood in downtown Iowa City and the crowd that hung out there when I was in college. (It would not surprise me if the same crowd still hung out there. The group at The Deadwood always struck me as the type that never changed. Though individual regulars may rotate in and out every couple years or so, they would essentially be facsimiles of those who had been there before. Come to think of it, most bars in Iowa City are a lot like that. It’s intriguing and also kind of scary.) They were the hipsters before hipsters, predating avocado sandwiches, fixies, and beards. It’s a crowd that makes me think of worn vinyl booths with patches of duct tape. They liked thrift store clothing, dive bars, and rock ‘n’ roll. They’re the ones who put PBR back on the map. (Interestingly, I read that the video was shot at a bar in Portland. Portland is where PBR’s resurgence began in the early naughties. Fittingly, it looks like there are at least two PBR bottles in the video.)

Popular Posts