Beer of the Weekend #787: Eliot Ness

I was busy busy busy this weekend and did not get a chance to fill my growler. (My weekends sometimes seem busier than my weekdays.) Regardless, I have a couple brews chilling in my fridge that I have been meaning to get to.

My parents’ neighbor is a photojournalist who covered the Republican National Convention in Cleveland last month. He knows I like beer and brought me back a bottle of Eliot Ness, brewed by the Great Lakes Brewing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.


The color is caramel with a tint of red. A finger of light tan, tight, bubble-spotted head leaves a skim, bubbles, and a ring around the edge. Scents of toasted malt, caramel, and cherry licorice are most prominent. There is also a light scent of floral hops. The flavor is toasty, bitter, and pleasingly floral. It also has a touch of spice, which seems like cinnamon. The spice fades somewhat but continues to linger, teasingly, in the background. The bitterness lingers on the taste buds after each sip, as well. A touch of cherry comes through to provide some sweetness.

Fun facts about Eliot Ness:

• Style: Great Lakes calls it amber lager.

• Price: Being a friendly neighbor.

• Alcohol content: 6.1 percent ABV.

• IBU: 27.

• Who was Eliot Ness? I should have known having just read a book about Prohibition, but needed to look him up. According to his Wikipedia page, he was a Prohibition agent in Chicago and the leader of “The Untouchables.” Apparently, Ness frequented a tavern that is the current Great Lakes brewpub and the mother of one Great Lakes founder was Ness’ stenographer.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B+.

Popular Posts