I need (another) bike lock



Today I had to “steal” my own bike. I needed to free it at the Co-op when the combination to my lock reset.

Just as I resolved, I bought a bike lock during Bike to Work Week. (I am still working on the pannier and kickstand. I definitely want a kickstand, but am unsure if I need to spend $50 on a pannier when I have a backpack. A pannier, though, would definitely save unneeded strain on my back. Hauling a sixer in a backpack is a tad uncomfortable.) I did not need a super strong, super expensive lock; all I wanted was something that would keep my bike secure for the short time I am inside John’s or the Co-op. So for $30 I bought an ABUS combination cable lock at World of Bikes.

It worked well and did exactly what I wanted it to. However, I soon realized there were a couple things I did not like about it.

1) I could not attach its accompanying storage mount as designed. On the packaging, easy installation is depicted using a bolt along the seat post. Unfortunately, I had no comparable bolt on my bike. Since ABUS is a German company, I assume the mount is made for European utility bikes. Thankfully, though, I was able to jury-rig a mount using the clamp that came with the red light on my rack.

2) The cable was insanely long: 185 cm. That is a little over six feet, which I did not realize when I bought it. (I suppose it would be worth it to acquaint myself with metric length measures.) I suppose six feet of cable is nice to have to lock up both tires, but that kind of protection is impractical for my needs.

3) I did not like the fact I needed to enter the combination to lock it. I could only lock it if the combination was entered, so the combo was out in the open, available for all to see, every time I pulled the cable through the tire and around the rack. I guess that is how combo locks work, but I was a little concerned that prying eyes would be watching. I always pulled it through the tire and locked it as hastily as possible…

…which is probably the reason why I came out of the Co-op, entered the combo, and the lock did not disengage. More than likely, I tripped the red reset latches when fitting the ends together. I guess that happens sometimes with combo locks.

Regardless of the cause, I had a problem. My bike was locked to the rack and I had no clue what the new combination was. After trying a couple different combos in vain, my dad’s bolt cutters came to mind. However, I wondered if there was a way to open it without cutting the cable. It was a decent lock and cost me $30, so I wanted to salvage it if possible. Back home I found a couple YouTube videos about “hacking” combo locks, which were both disturbing and potentially helpful. If combo locks are that easy to hack (albeit with a little effort and good eyesight and hearing), perhaps it is best not to use one. I returned to the Co-op and tried the hacking methods to no avail. Either I am not adept at hacking bike locks or ABUS makes a damn good lock. (It is probably a combination (!) of both.)

Time for the bolt cutters. My dad accompanied me back to the Co-op, and I even brought the bike’s receipt, complete with serial number, in case we aroused suspicion. New Pioneer is not the best place to be cutting a bike lock — which is ideal under normal circumstances. Not only are there a ton of dedicated and vigilant cyclists around, but the police station is right across the street. Only one guy was curious enough to ask “Is that your bike?” after we started cutting. My embarrassed “Yeah” was enough to convince him — which is, in a certain way, a little disconcerting. After a trip back to my parents’ place to adjust the cutters and get a hacksaw, we made relatively quick work of the steel cable and freed the bike. Phew!

And now back to square one: I need a bike lock.

Popular Posts