USA 98, France 71



Much like four years ago with the “Redeem Team,” I have decided to follow the US men’s basketball team in London by posting the results of each game. This time, though, it is not because of hoops nationalism — though I do want the American men and women to sweep the basketball crowns. This time it is because I am just not feeling the Olympic spirit.

This year marks the twentieth anniversary of the Olympics in Barcelona, the first sporting event that interested me. Though I remember watching the NBA Finals that year, I was not a sports fan before Barcelona ’92. Something about those games caught my attention. During the first week of the games, my sister and I took swimming lessons at the Rec Center in the morning and would return home and watch the swimming and diving competitions in Barcelona. The diving events were especially memorable with the view of the city and the Sagrada Família church in the background. I remember watching a boxer (perhaps American Eric Griffin) storm out of the arena after losing a match due to flawed computer scoring. I saw Derek Redmond shred his hamstring and hobble across the finish line with the help of his dad. And I watched the Dream Team. After that I was hooked: I have been an avid sports fan ever since.

I have also been a fan of the Olympics, but since 1996 I have not been able to enjoy them as much as I would like. I relished Atlanta ’96, but Sydney 2000 is a bit of a mystery since I did not watch much of it (it was held after school started). The only things I remember of Sydney are Laura Wilkinson (I thought she was cute) and Vince Carter’s dunk over Frédéric Weis. The Olympics in Athens are even more of a blur: I was working and watched almost none of it. I did take an interest in the Beijing Olympics, especially the men’s basketball competitions (obviously); I woke early to watch at least a little of each game (live on a special Olympic basketball channel that miraculously appeared). I watched whatever was on during primetime, but became annoyed by all the lengthy interviews and in-depth profiles NBC showed instead of the events. When a camera team followed Shawn Johnson through a Hy-Vee and she found a cardboard cut-out of herself, I thought, “I would rather be watching table tennis.”

Though I caught the very end of the opening ceremony in London, I am not feeling very interested. I think all the primetime hype, and the emphasis on glory and gold, has ruined it. But perhaps these posts will increase my interest.

Also, my “Redeem Team” posts were my first game posts, so I thought it would be fitting to once again follow Team USA as I do annually with Iowa football and men’s basketball.

Popular Posts