Compliments and correction notice for Woodworth

Last night I was catching up with Bobblehead’s blog, Churchill’s Cigar, and he reminded me of something I wanted to do: write Steven E. Woodworth, the author of Nothing But Victory: The Army of the Tennessee 1861-1865, and let him know he misidentified the university in Iowa City.

Instead of the University of Iowa (or State University of Iowa, as it would have been known as during the Civil War), Woodworth called it Upper Iowa University. Upper Iowa is in Fayette. I found Woodworth’s email address on his online vita and wrote him last night.

Professor Woodworth,

I wanted to write and let you know that a friend and I read "Nothing But Victory: The Army of the Tennessee, 1861-1865" and found it very enlightening. In April we attended the sesquicentennial events at Shiloh and agreed that your work gave us an excellent understanding of what happened there. The book was engaging and well-written, and I want to thank you for writing it.

Also, I grew up and live in Iowa City, Iowa, and wanted to let you know that you misidentified the university here. In the book you referred to it as Upper Iowa University. Upper Iowa is in Fayette. Iowa City is home to The University of Iowa. During the Civil War, though, it was known as the State University of Iowa. I hope that helps.

Again, thank you for your work.

~[The Quiet Man]

He has not responded. Perhaps he is on vacation, which is common for academics during the summer (unfortunately for my journals). Or he’s working on another book.

Popular Posts