The Mysterious Hamstring Discomfort, Part 3

Blogging has taken a backseat recently (as has my novel writing; it was awful timing to restart my novel) but I would like to get back into the swing of things.

Despite the fact I have not written about it since May, my mysterious hamstring discomfort has continued to confound me and I thought I would post an update.

Last month I saw my podiatrist. I explained the situation and openly admitted that I had not been wearing the insert he made for my right shoe.

“Why?” he asked. “Did it not fit? Was it uncomfortable?”

“No. I was just stupid.”

Basically, he told me to wear the insert and ease into running again; I should first start walking, then power walk for a week, and then run. If the insert did not make things better, he would recommend a physical therapist. “Those guys,” he said, “work wonders.”

I did as he suggested for a couple weeks. I walked everyday and then started power walking. I warmed the muscles before stretching. Having watched an informative YouTube video about slowly working through iliotibial band syndrome (which I assume is what I have), I began a routine to stretched my leg muscles starting at my Achilles and working up to my quads. It worked well and I got to the point where the discomfort was almost completely absent. But my busy schedule has kept me from walking for the past two weeks and the pain has returned. Grr. The good news, though, is I plan to start walking again bright and early tomorrow morning.

I really need to work through this thing. Though I have enjoyed not running — I think a long break was in order at some point — the lack of distance cardio is crimping my style. I have become easily irritable and anxious. I have lost the balance that has kept me sane for the past couple years (and am missing out on a lot of Vitamin D). Resolving this hammy thing is a personal imperative, and in more ways than one.

Bobblehead’s dad is trying to lose weight and will not allow himself to drink a very special whisky until he has reached a certain weight. (I believe it is a Scotch and therefore “whisky,” not “whiskey.”) I am doing the same thing: I will not allow myself to run until I drop to 180 pounds.

I have been about 10 to 15 pounds heavier than I want to be for a while (basically since before I left California) so I have resolved to keep myself from running until I lose it. Losing those extra pounds will not only be beneficial to my health but also my muscles and bones when I run. However, I have been about 10 pounds shy of the goal for a long time and cannot stay disciplined enough to drop it. Regardless, my hammy thing has continued to bother me so it is not like I am chopping at the bit. However, that will start to change tomorrow morning.

Popular Posts