Urban Cookie Collective, 'The Key The Secret'



I plan to write a few posts tonight but thought I would share this gem from 1994.

Never heard of the Urban Cookie Collective? Neither had I. I stumbled across the song in another YouTube video; my curiosity piqued, I searched for the lyrics and found the above video. Having reviewed Darker Handcraft, one can say this represents a whole other spectrum of my taste in music. (A musician I know once old me I was a “progressive chap.”)

I know nothing about the origins of the band’s name but caught a glimpse of their Wikipedia page; it said they were based in the UK. Understandably, since the Brits had their hands in cookie jars all over the world, the UK has a substantial population of East Indians and those from the Caribbean. “The Key The Secret” exhibits both influences, I think; it also has a very strong FernGully vibe, which is unsurprising. It was also released around the time of Paul Oakenfold’s epic “Goa mix,” which was heavily influenced by the trance being played on the beaches in Goa, on the western coast of India.

Popular Posts