Chelsea FC: 2012 UEFA Champions League Champions


Yesterday, Chelsea FC captured their first European Cup by beating Bayern Munich in the 2012 edition of the UEFA Champions League Final.

I was only able to watch the extra time periods, after regulation ended 1-1. I was at Sweat Meat’s house, waiting for him to gather his camping stuff. Admittedly, I had totally forgotten about the game until I turned his TV on. The teams were deadlocked, cautiously picking their passes, weary of every mistake in overtime; a goal would put one team in dire straights.

Having been a hardcore Chelsea fan for years (starting in the late-nineties, before they were a global brand), I was definitely cheering for the Blues. However, I was somewhat relieved Sweat Meat had gathered his stuff together just as extra time ended. Having watched the infamous end to the 2008 Champion League Final, my stomach was churning and I was happy to turn the TV off.

I am not a big Chelsea fan anymore. After they claimed back-to-back Premier League crowns in ’05 and ’06 I lost a lot of interest. Having won another EPL title in 2010 and a number of FA and League Cups, Chelsea has climbed to the top of English soccer — and, frankly, it is kind of boring. I became just a curious spectator regarding the EPL (now officially called the Barclay’s Premier League to accommodate its lead sponsor) and other European soccer leagues. (I have always been a fan of the German Bundesliga and Dutch Eredivisie.) However, I always hoped Chelsea would win the revered European Cup, the one trophy that eluded them.

Year after year, strong Champions League campaigns ended in heartbreak, most notably in 2008. I conveniently wrote all about it almost four years ago, so I will refrain from writing about it again. (I will say this, though: all European Cup winners can place a special star on their logo to signify their winner’s status, and when John Terry was preparing to take the potential game-winning penalty kick I thought, “Where will Chelsea put the star on the logo?” I have never in my life felt such a drastic swing of emotions in so short a time.) Thus, I was pleased when Chelsea secured a spot in this year’s Final after such clutch performances as the “£50 million goal.” Turning the TV off at Sweat Meat’s place, I was hoping for the best and wondered all night what happened. I did not find out until a few hours ago when I was finally able to look up the score.

So congrats to Chelsea for winning the European Cup.

Popular Posts