The Novel Diary: Week 39

Word count: 40,082.

Believe it or not, I am making very productive headway in my journal regarding my novel troubles. Gradually, I have been smoothing out the rough areas I overlooked and need to be definite about, those elements in the story that have to be thought through and concrete so they contribute. I am asking hard and provocative questions about minor details because any faults will be clearly visible. Ideally, rewriting would smooth those, but I seem to be hell-bent on making the first draft as best as I can make it, leaving no room for error.

However, I have made errors. I have identified a few things I need to add or tweak about Chapter 1 to strengthen characterization and symbolism. I am fine with that, but I do not think right now is a good time to return to a previous chapter to tie loose ends or add detail. I want to continue writing fresh material. The one thing I need to do, that I have failed to do all along, is make sure I return to and am always aware of what I decide about the story. If I decide to add something to the first chapter, I need to do that at some point. I cannot make that decision one night and let it fade into the ether and forget about it. I need to deliver on these decisions. I am cool with changing them later, but I need to make sure I follow-up.

It has been well over a month since I topped 40k and finished Chapter 7. More than likely I will not write in October or November. I am willing to concede that. Too much college football to gorge on. I decided, however, to set a date for the “novel reboot,” when I want to begin writing with my new game plan ready: December 4.

Comments

Popular Posts