The Novel Diary: Week 36

Word count: 40,082.

No novel writing was done last week, and there will be no novel writing this week. I am in the suburbs of Chicago painting my cousin’s new house with my uncle. After 12 hours of prepping and laying a first coat on three rooms today, the job is just beginning.

Last week I promised a couple pints of Back Road Stout at the Foxhead would help me reason through my current troubles and build a road map for the next couple chapters. (I should plan the rest of the book. That would be ideal.) Alas, no Back Road Stout and no Foxhead last week. There will be neither this week. However, my cousin has challenged me to drink the 12-pack of Heineken she bought for us. Consider it done, but I doubt I will be thinking much of my novel. As anyone who has seen the Karate Kid knows, painting is very meditative. With some good tunes, the easy repetition of trimming or rolling can put one into a peaceful revelry. Unfortunately, my thoughts do not turn to novel writing as they used to when I shot hoops in my driveway as a kid. It’s a bummer, because that would be very helpful. Novel thoughts will need to wait for next week.

Comments

Popular Posts