Beer of the Weekend #273: Tucher Kristall Weizen

Tonight I started reasoning through my novel trouble in my journal. Writing about writing is the best way to do that, I think. And the best way to reward myself for finally tackling this daunting task is with a bottle of Tucher Kristall Weizen, brewed by the Brauerei Tucher Brau of Nürnberg, Germany.


Now is not ideal wheat beer season, but I do not care. I picked up a bunch of German wheat beer at the Binny’s in Willowbrook. Frankly, I did what any beer lover would do when finding a beer he has never seen before: buy it to try it. I do not think John’s carries Tucher beers, and though the BevMo! on Beach carried Tucher’s Helles Hefe Weizen and Dunkles Hefe Weizen, I do not recall seeing Kristall Weizen. So I nabbed two bottles.

Serving type: Two 500 ml bottles. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a weizen glass. The color is a clear, clean medium straw, almost light gold. Three fingers of white head dissipated fairly quickly for a wheat beer, leaving a thin lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Lots of ripe banana and apple. There is also strawberry, bubblegum, yeast, and cloves.

Taste: The taste is much more yeasty/bready than the smell. The mouthfeel is like the beer was never filtered. The fruit flavors of banana, apple, and strawberry are present. The bubblegum and cloves, though, are not as prominent.

Drinkability: It is a good brew, but I am not too impressed. On the spectrum of Bavarian wheat beers, it probably falls smack dab in the middle. Which is still saying a lot. Few American wheats have this much character. And I hang my head in shame.

Fun facts about Tucher Kristall Weizen:

-Style: Kristalweizen. (Or should it be spelled “kristallweizen” or “kristall weizen”?)

-Price: $2.69/bottle at the Binny’s Beverage Depot on Illinois Highway 83 in Willowbrook, Illinois.

-Serving temperature: 45-50ºF.

-Alcohol content: BA pegs the ABV at 5.1 percent, but the Tucher USA website says 5.3 percent.

-Food pairings: BA recommends German cuisine, poultry, and fish.


The Quiet Man’s grade: B.

Comments

Popular Posts