USA 106, Germany 57

Not much to say about this game. The score tells the whole story.

Once again I set my DreamMachine to 5 a.m. and woke reluctantly. What about my dedication, my pride? Tired and unwilling to get up for another hour and 45 minutes, that’s what. This time, however, I managed to roll out of bed and watch the first few minutes of the game. I turned it off when the score was 8-0 and the Germans couldn’t buy a bucket. I know basketball games aren’t played on paper for a reason, but the stench of a slaughter can be smelled from miles away.


Pool play is now over and none of the Redeem Team’s five wins mean anything. The whole tournament starts fresh and new, minus the runts. The Aussi’s have set their sights on Team USA and are looking for a “Hoosiers” style upset. I believe they’ll show up to play. They trounced my second favorite, Lithuania, earlier in the morning (night in Beijing), 106-75. Just two weeks ago the Aussi’s were barely clipped by the Americans, 87-76, and they didn’t even have their star center, Andrew Bogut. I think they have the minerals, so it should be a good game Wednesday morning. Hopefully I can crawl my ass out of bed.

Here’s some international basketball news I picked up recently while watching an Olympic game: In 2010, FIBA will do away with the annoying — and ugly — trapezoid lane and replace it with the NBA rectangle and foul lanes. FIBA wants to make the rules of the game more universal. On that note, FIBA will also be moving the three-point line back a little, though it will still be closer than the NBA three. A restricted area arc will also be placed under the basket. Obviously, since I’m an American, I think they’re good changes. But despite these amendments, though, there are still many differences. The FIBA court is still 2.14 feet shorter and .79 feet narrower than the NBA and NCAA version. Let’s try smoothing out that inconsistency next, then we can move on to the mountain of differences regarding fouls, goaltending, shot clock procedures, number of time outs, time out motions, substitutions, player fouls (I like the FIBA and NCAA five foul rule), and ball material. After that we can talk about universality.

Comments

Popular Posts